[alsa-devel] gitcompile fail

Mark Brand mark.brand at nmmu.ac.za
Sun Jan 8 16:19:15 CET 2017

Hi Takashi (and all)

This is brilliant, perfect, thank you!  And thank you sincerely for
taking the time to put these instructions together for me.  I am
embarrassed to say that I need a little more help.  I am using the
official Ubuntu linux-4.4.0 source tree (copied to my $HOME/Projects
folder), with appropriate config obtained from "make oldconfig". Your
instructions:

(Current working directory is top level of kernel source tree) -
($HOME/Projects/linux-4.4.0)
$ cd sound/drivers/
$ make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-57-lowlatency/build M=$(pwd) snd-mtpav.ko

This produces snd-mtpav.ko perfectly as expected.  Now I want to compile
my own module called snd-mq8portse.ko (which is a device substantially
similar to the mtpav).  I have successfully built this working driver in
the past, but under an older build arrangement (which stopped working at
some point).  I add my source file (mq8portse.c) to
$HOME/Projects/linux-4.4.0/sound/drivers, and make the following
additions to the Makefile in that folder:

snd-mq8portse-objs := mq8portse.o

obj-$(CONFIG_SND_MQ8PORTSE) += snd-mq8portse.o

I also make the following addition to Kconfig in the same folder (again
following the model provided by SND_MTPAV):

config SND_MQ8PORTSE
     tristate "MusicQuest 8Port/SE multiport MIDI"
     select SND_RAWMIDI
     help
       To use a MusicQuest 8Port/SE multiport MIDI adapter
       connected to the parallel port, say Y here and make sure that
       the standard parallel port driver isn't used for the port.

       To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module
       will be called snd-mq8portse.

I now enable my new module for compilation by make menuconfig in the
source tree root.  This adds the line CONFIG_SND_MQ8PORTSE=m to .config
in that folder.
Now I try to compile my new module:

$ cd sound/drivers/
$ make -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-57-lowlatency/build M=$(pwd) snd-mq8portse.ko

I get:

make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-57-lowlatency'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'snd-mq8portse.o'. Stop.
Makefile:1590: recipe for target 'snd-mq8portse.ko' failed
make: *** [snd-mq8portse.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-57-lowlatency'

So my question is this: how (or where) do I add rules to make my
module?  Am I modifying the correct Makefile/Kconfig/.config?  Is there
some other step I'm missing?

Once again, I apologise sincerely for all the chatter, and thank you for
your patience.

Kind regards
Mark Brand