[alsa-devel] snd_soc_set_dmi_name - Shouldn't it use SYS_VENDOR?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 28 10:36:38 CEST 2017

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:02:31 +0200,
Daniel Drake wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Pierre-Louis Bossart
> <pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > While in general DMI_SYS_VENDOR is commonly used, there are exceptions to
> > the rule, such as the very machine I am working on at the moment which does
> > have any useful DMI_SYS_VENDOR information (see below)
> > Mengdong may be able to comment on why we took this direction.
>
> In a DMI database of 113 PC models that we have worked with here:
>
> 112 have correct/meaningful sys_vendor, 1 is useless (To be filled by OEM)
> 106 have correct board_vendor, 7 have incorrect or useless values
>
> And awkwardly the one system that I'd like to match in UCM rules here
> has correct sys_vendor but bad board_vendor.

We may be a bit smarter and try another field if such a string ("To be
filled by OEM",  "Default String") is found, too.  Not sure whether
it's the right move, though.

The function hasn't been applied widely until now, so changing it
would be still OK until 4.12-final release.  If we really need to
change this, let's fix now.

thanks,