[alsa-devel] WM5102 - Help to make baytrail machine driver work

Paulo Sergio pstglia at gmail.com
Sat May 7 05:40:34 CEST 2016

Hi Pierre, how are you?

>> I also ported a machine driver code from a kernel Lenovo made available
>> for a similar hardware (Lenovo yoga 2 1050 - uses the same baytrail
>> Z3745 and wolfson wm5102 audio) [4]
>

> There are quite a few references in the machine driver to concepts related
> to Clovertrail+ and early versions of Baytrail. I am fairly convinced the
> mentions of 'BYT_COMMS_BT' or 'modem mixing' are no longer supported with
> the DPCM platform driver/firmware you used.

Yes, the code I ported was originally wrote for kernel 3.10.x targeted
for Android

In any case, I didn't enable this option on our kernel config

> To enable this codec it would be simpler to start with a newer machine
> driver derived from the bytcr_rt5640 one, with just a basic SSP0-aif1 link
> for starters (+ MCLK).

Thanks for the tip. I can try it ( create a machine driver derived
from bytcr_rt5640 ). Will just wait for Charles help on analyzing
CODEC output I provided. [1]
If he says this part seems ok, I will work on machine driver

I'm not sure this hardware uses SSP0 or SSP2, so I'm testing with both
firmwares. Is there any method I can confirm it? (querying an ACPI
entry listed on DSDT maybe?)

> Better yet, do this work with a MinnowBoard and an
> WM5102 eval board and test all this with more control on how the hardware is
> setup.

This is probably the best approach (minnowboard + WM5102 eval board).
But unfortunatelly my skills are limited...

> If you stick to working directly on the Lenovo device, make sure you use all
> the DSP controls set in the UCM files used for baytrail/baytrail-CR (see
> github.com/plbossart/UCM).

In fact, currently I don't have this device. Some volunteers from
Android-x86 google group are testing changes made on their hardware
and provide the info I ask for (logcat / dmesg / mixer output, etc)

Thanks
Pstglia

[1] - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxO6THtB865fS2NxUkdOa18zUlE/view?usp=sharing