[alsa-devel] v1.1.2 release?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 26 10:43:51 CEST 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:07:43 +0200,
Takashi Sakamoto wrote:

> Hi Jaroslav and Iwai-san,
>
> On Jul 26 2016 15:57, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > Dne 25.7.2016 v 11:58 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):
> >> Hi Jaroslav,
> >>
> >> shall we release v1.1.2 along with 4.7 kernel?  We've got already a
> >> bunch of changes in alsa-lib and co.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >    yes, I plan to prepare the new release this week.
>
> In this release, I added five APIs newly:
>  * snd_ctl_elem_info_set_dimension()
>  * snd_ctl_add_integer_elem_set()
>  * snd_ctl_add_integer64_elem_set()
>  * snd_ctl_add_boolean_elem_set()
>  * snd_ctl_add_enumerated_elem_set()
>  * snd_ctl_add_bytes_elem_set()
>
> In this case, on usual way to maintain library, as long as I know,
> minor version is going to be incremented, instead of micro version. In
> short, to v1.2.0.

Good point.  Although the minor/tiny version number rule is somewhat
ambiguous that people don't care much (as long as it's incremental),
it's still helpful to leave a number place for the further
corrections.  We had to release a version like v1.0.21a in the past.
By releasing with the minor version bump, we may still release v1.2.1
soon after once if there is some build error or such a correction is
needed.

> But I committed assuming v1.1.2. For example:
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=blob;f=src/control/control.c;h=6c00b8e50d2be78f9c5e93322b8e8b107ff8c442;hb=HEAD#l2533
>
> If it's going to be versioned to v1.2.0, please tell it to me. I'll
> post a patch to fix my commits in time of your release work.

They can be corrected easily here, too, hence no need to submit the
patch.  It'd be a one-liner scripting, after all.

thanks,