[alsa-devel] SND_PCM_STREAM_CAPTURE and SND_PCM_NONBLOCK producing strange artifacts

Trent Reed treed0803 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:46:12 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> Please don't drop Cc to ML.  Also avoid top-post.

Whoops! Sorry - not too familiar with the etiquette yet. (Dropped Cc was an
honest mistake, reply instead of reply-all).

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 09:02:12 +0200,
> Trent Reed wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Takashi,
> >
> > My implementation does only use the "hw:N" devices, unfortunately - I am
> > not using MMAP because I was under the impression that you must poll when
> > directly accessing the hardware. And yes, 48kHz is the exact rate I'm
> > attempting. :(
> > I do have an update, though - I'm able to reproduce the issue quite
> simply
> > by running the ALSA test application latency with the following command:
> >
> > `latency -P <playback-device> -C <capture-device> -r 48000`
> >
> > This, as far as I understand from the source code, should open R/W
> > interleaved streams on ("hw:2" is what I'm using for both, though the
> > problem persists in non-duplex mode, e.g. "hw:2" "hw:0") in non-blocking
> > mode without polling.
> >
> > What happens is the latency application does normalize around some value
> > (say, 16ms roundtrip time), but the audio is awful and broken, a lot of
> > this "static" I'm talking about. It seems to me that it's the same
> problem
> > that I have in my above-mentioned sample code.
> >
> > I would love to help more, so if I can in any way, please let me know!
> But
> > I feel at a loss for how to further debug.
>
> The latency program is too complex to analyze the issue.  Check
> arecord with --nonblock --test-nowait options and with the hw device.
> Does the issue happen always?  Or does it depend on the buffer or
> period size?

> Takashi

It doesn't happen always, but it usually happens more often than not -
sometimes I'll go a few attempts without hearing the issue, and other times
it'll be consistent. The only constant seems to be that I have never heard
it occur when I am running snd_pcm_wait() (e.g. without --test-nowait). I
will keep trying this though to see if that ever changes.

Here are my attempted recordings:

Non-Blocking, No-Wait (produces static):
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r48000 -c2 --period-size=256 --nonblock
--test-nowait -d5 > s16le-c2-p256-nonblock-nowait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTR0ZtUFlaV1Q5cFU

Non-Blocking, Wait (does not produce static):
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r48000 -c2 --period-size=256 --nonblock -d5 >
s16le-c2-p256-nonblock-wait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTa2pGUWpTWmc1QW8

At first, I thought it had to do with the period - but here I attempt to
use the default period for arecord (unsure of what the default gets set to).
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r48000 -c2 --nonblock --test-nowait -d5 >
s16le-c2-nonblock-nowait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTa280VG9LbHlreU0

To be absolutely sure that period size didn't play a role, I asked for a
specific size:
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r48000 -c2 --period-size=1024 --nonblock
--test-nowait -d5 > s16le-c2-p1024-nonblock-nowait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTZlRCQ0lvek9YN3M

And it doesn't appear to relate to the sample rate:
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r44100 -c2 --nonblock --test-nowait -d5 >
s16le-44100-c2-nonblock-nowait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTZFNmTGt5VXJKQTg

I also can get it to reproduce using --mmap flag:
`arecord -Dhw:2 -fS16_LE -r48000 -c2 --nonblock --test-nowait --mmap -d5 >
s16le-c2-mmap-nonblock-nowait.wav`
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-1aumGKQcQTWDZ6cFlSZjA5ek0

Let me know how I can help further debug. :)

Thanks,
- Trent Reed