[alsa-devel] ASUS STRIX sound card quiet microphone (like, really quiet ...)

auspicious at inventati.org auspicious at inventati.org
Sun Jul 3 06:30:00 CEST 2016

Dear mailing list individuals,

I currently am using an ASUS STRIX RAID DLX sound card. It contains the
following processor:
C-Media USB2.0 6632AX High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 384KHz /
24bit)

More information:
https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/STRIX-RAID-DLX/specifications

It gets detected as so on Debian testing with Linux kernel 4.6:
card 1: DLX [STRIX RAID DLX], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: DLX [STRIX RAID DLX], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: DLX [STRIX RAID DLX], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The output of the card has been wonderfully fine ever since I have had
it, but the microphone bit has always been troublesome. On Linux Mint
17.3 it would not work (kernel 4.1 I believe).

On Linux Mint 18 (kernel 4.4) it started working but it is incredibly
quiet. On the loudest setting, I have to put the microphone against my
mouth for anyone to hear.

On the same system using on-board Intel audio, this issue does not
occur. I am using Debian testing to have more recent software, but
nothing made a difference.

What can I do about this? I do not really know whether I need to contact
the Linux kernel guys or ALSA. I am rather inexperienced with Linux
driver things.

Sincerely yours,
Desperate Individual