[alsa-devel] ALSA: bebob: Could I still put some patches to 4.5-rc1?

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Mon Jan 18 13:36:33 CET 2016

Hi,

On Jan 18 2016 15:30, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 03:26:03 +0100,
> Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently I got a help to add support of a new model into ALSA BeBoB driver.
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/ffado/mailman/ffado-devel/thread/CAKKsO5CYHVRvgo6AV%3D%3DZRJ2it53cF7UGHnnDyCLZY_jzJYHpSA%40mail.gmail.com/#msg34751986
>>
>> I've already created the patch candidate and users test them.
>> https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve/tree/soundcraft
>>
>> If the test finished in a few days, could I put them to 4.5-rc1 or not
>> in time?
>
> In general, the development phase is already over when a merge window
> is opened.  That means, only fix patches should be merged after that.
> As a rule of thumb, I'd take patches to stable kernels at any time,
> but the rest depends on urgency (or it has been already submitted /
> reviewed but I forgot to merge, etc).

Thanks for the clear instruction about your maintenance policy. I mostly
agree with the policy, so stopped posting my patches during merge window
opening (at least in recent releases).

While, the patches allow users to handle their unit. I think it valuable
to add the patches in this merge window and increase supported devices
in ALSA, as long as the changes is quite small (i.e. just adding device
entry).

Today, a tester reports that snd-bebob cannot drive his unit just with
the patches. As a result of additional investigation, I conclude that
there may be quirks on the sequence of packets from the unit. This means
that the changes may become larger, unfortunately.

I give up to request adding the patches into Linux 4.5, and postpone it
to next merge window.

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto