[alsa-devel] bytcr_rt5651 on wintron 7.0

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Feb 1 18:30:09 CET 2016

On 02/01/2016 08:59 AM, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 01/31/2016 07:51 AM, Tobias Mädel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we're currently trying to get the new bytcr_rt5651 driver to run on a
>> TrekStor SurfTab wintron 7.0 (x86 tablet).
>>
>> Unlike the previous driver for the rt5640 chipset, the new bytcr_rt5651
>> driver actually detects the card out-of-the-box.
>
> Good to know.
>

>> This is the dmesg output on the device:
>> bytcr_rt5651: snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> media-cpu-dai mapping ok
>> bytcr_rt5651: snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> deepbuffer-cpu-dai mapping ok
>> bytcr_rt5651: Invalid direction for compress P 0, C 0
>> bytcr_rt5651: ASoC: can't create compress Compress
>> bytcr_rt5651: ASoC: failed to instantiate card -22
>> bytcr_rt5651: devm_snd_soc_register_card failed -22
>> bytcr_rt5651: probe of bytcr_rt5651 failed with error -22
>>
>> So -- apparently it is successfully initializing 2 of the DAIs, but it
>> can't find the Compress-DAI. My first guess would just be to try and
>> disable the Compress DAI in the code just for debugging, but I'm sure
>> that there's a better way.
>>
>> I'm running a bleeding edge kernel build from the main linux git tree,
>> build from yesterday's github.com/torvalds/linux.git repo.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get alsa to detect the card properly?
>>
>> Here's the complete dmesg output:
>> https://gist.github.com/Manawyrm/70d90e95e9c578a7fb26
>
> This is weird. I checked the DSDT tables and couldn't see anything blatantly wrong.
> If there was a problem with the compress DAI it would show on other platforms as well.
> It could also be a configuration issue with bad controls, I put my UCM configuration on github plbosssart/UCM/, you may want to look into this as well.

The same issues happens with an Asus t100 with 4.5-rc2, I get the same message of invalid direction so it's not a codec issue but a regression on all Atom platforms.
The code for this direction check was added by commit " ASoC: compress: Fix compress device direction check"  a1068045883ed4a18363a4ebad0c3d55e473b716pe by Vinod Koul (cc:ed), somehow the logic must be wrong or missing something.