[alsa-devel] A&H Zed R16 not completely working (DICE Jr)

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Thu Apr 21 04:11:12 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Apr 21 2016 09:14, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> Thanks Takashi ,
>
> It was my understanding that FFADO would eventually be deprecated,  so am
> trying to provide test feedback for my device.  I thought comparable
> performance would be a goal.

Your misunderstanding.

ALSA firewire stack is not an alternative of FFADO implementation.
Against understanding of most of FFADO users, the implementation of this
stack doesn't come from FFADO implementation, therefore they're based on
quite different designs and code bases.

(It's your misfortune that FFADO project has already lost
well-established developers who can explain about it.)

And you should realize that the decrease of size of PCM buffer is an
ancient technique to reduce communication latency in a past decade. JACK
developers still adhere on it, against their aim, unfortunately.  To
understand this aspect, please read Alexander Patrakov's paper proposed
in LAC 2015.
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/papers/10.pdf

It's a bit difficult to you. But when thinking about the 'latency'
severely, at least, users and developers should understand what in the
article, at least. About the communication latency, I'm willing to use
my time for this direction, but not for the others.

> Using ALSA is desirable as I have a large number of MIDI devices (2*AMT 8)
> and 3 other control devices..  Using ALSA provides better connectivity than
> a2jmidi..

What's the 'AMT'?

> I will try alsa in,  plug.. I am concerned though this is not an ideal
> solution due to trying to sync multiple devices which in reality share a
> clock..  Adding even more latency..

Even if using FFADO implementation, you can't achieve it. It pretends as
what you say. Of cource, the size of PCM buffer is accumulated to the
communication latency.

> I will continue using FFADO for production work,  but am happy to keep
> testing if you believe improvements can be made.

I haven no plan of my development for the direction about which you
mentioned, sorry. There're more crutial issues than them.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto