[alsa-devel] A&H Zed R16 not completely working (DICE Jr)

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Thu Apr 21 02:01:38 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Apr 21 2016 01:03, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> It provides this as separate devices so I cannot access all channels at
> the same time in jack as in FFADO.
>
> Although I don't typically use the ADAT ports other might, however I am
> always using a combination of channels 1-16 and channels 17 & 18
> combined, sometimes all of them.
> The device is a hardware mixing desk and all ports are designed to be
> used simultaneously..

Use 'alsa_in' and 'alsa_out' as JACK clients, to use several ALSA PCM
character devices in one JACK session. See:
http://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html

> Latency performance is also much worse. FFADO will allow a buffer size
> of 64, ALSA will not start below 256.
> I prefer to work at 128 or lower.

If you think that FFADO implementation is suitable to your usage, and
you believe that it's really proper for IEC 61883-1/6, please use it.
ALSA firewire stack is just one of your available options in Linux-based
system.

> root at kxdaw:/home/allan/Downloads#  cat /proc/asound/card1/dice
> sections:
>   global: offset 10, size 95
> global:
>   version: 1.0.11.0

Hm. The global register has 95 quadlets. It has extra 5 quadlets as what
we know. What information is in the extra fields, I don't know exactly,
but I can confirm it in my Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 (interface version
1.0.12.0).

On Saffire Pro 26:
$ cat /proc/asound/card1/dice
sections:
  global: offset 10, size 95
global:
  version: 1.0.12.0

$ ./firewire-request /dev/fw1 read 0xffffe0000190 14
result: 000: 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
result: 010: 00 00 00 00

In short:
0x'ffff'e000'0190: 0x00000007
0x'ffff'e000'0194: 0x00000002
0x'ffff'e000'0198: 0x00000000
0x'ffff'e000'019c: 0x00000000
0x'ffff'e000'01a0: 0x00000000

If you can't have enough consideration about this kind of work, I'd like
you to use FFADO, by blacklisting snd-dice, please.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto