[alsa-devel] Noise in tlv320aic3104-based audio system

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Fri Oct 30 02:08:06 CET 2015

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 17:53 , James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 05:38:03PM -0700, Rick Mann wrote:
>> ... Is there a way to generate a default asound.state file? For
>> example, if I delete the file altogether, and then reboot, reload my
>> Device Tree Overlay, and then issue alsactl store, will it create a
>> "clean" asound file with just the right controls (with defaults)?
>
> Yes, that's the way it is usually done; delete the file, somehow avoid
> it being written on shutdown, then on next boot whatever the driver
> and hardware has as a default will be used.  Many drivers will use
> what the hardware has in registers.  If the system firmware hasn't
> touched those registers, then you should have chip reset values.  If
> the chip is specified without reset values, you'll have unpredictable
> values.  Exciting times ensue.

Thanks James...Cameron? Whoa. ;-)

I think what I'll do is reboot, delete the file, then load the overlay which will add the device to the device tree (it's not there after boot).

I might delete the file, reboot, delete it again? Dunno. We'll see.

Thanks for the confirmation that it works this way.

--
Rick Mann
rmann at latencyzero.com