[alsa-devel] DP1.2 MST audio support discussion

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Oct 22 10:52:59 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-22 09:40, Yang, Libin wrote:

> [...]

I'll try to explain my suggestion (which I believe Takashi's buying too)
one more time then:

First, when a monitor is plugged in, we need to dynamically assign this
monitor to five PCM devices. I believe this scheme will be best:

For a monitor at pin nid 0x05, dev index 0, it will prefer PCM 3.
For a monitor at pin nid 0x06, dev index 0, it will prefer PCM 7.
For a monitor at pin nid 0x07, dev index 0, it will prefer PCM 8.
For a monitor at dev index 1 (any pin), it will prefer PCM 9.
For a monitor at dev index 2 (any pin), it will prefer PCM 10.

For monitors at dev indices > 2 (can that happen?), or if the PCM is
already assigned to something else, try PCMs in this order: 9, 10, 3, 7, 8.
(Subject to discussion perhaps, I don't think the order matters too
much, because conflicts will be rare in practice.)

The jack and ELD kctls - one per PCM device - will follow what monitor
the PCM is currently assigned to. (kctls belonging to a PCM device that
is unassigned will report presence_detect=0 and eld_valid=0.)

Then, at playback open time, a free converter node will be dynamically
assigned to the PCM. If there are no free converter nodes, return -EBUSY.

Now remains the case when an unassigned PCM is opened. This needs
additional thinking, but the more backwards compatibility we can keep
for this case, the better. But I'm not sure about how possible it is to
let streams "freewheel" in this new DSP MST world?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic