[alsa-devel] DSD over HDMI: audio data packetization

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Tue Jan 6 08:02:32 CET 2015

06.01.2015, 08:15, Andrej Falout kirjoitti:
> Hi Anssi,

Hi,

>> I think the One-Bit Audio and DST formats are just misnamed here and
>> can't be carried over IEC 61937 (ATRAC can be) - the IEC 61937
>> specification does not cover One-Bit Audio or DST.
>>

> Does it have to be? Given that it is defined in CEA 861, and that 61937-1
> makes specific provisions for non-PCM data:
>
> Page 16:
>
> "In cases where the interface is used to convey non-linear PCM audio
> bitstreams..."

IEC 61937 *is* about transmitting non-PCM data. The specification
specifies how to encapsulate AC-3, MPEG-x, DTS, ATRAC, WMA etc for
transmission over IEC 60958 link. It does not specify anything about
One-Bit Audio or DST (see e.g. "Table 2 - Data-types" in IEC 61937-2 for
a list of supported types of which you need to select one).

>> I think the "third-party solution" refers to a driver implementing
>> support for a non-HDA-spec HW feature which allows One-Bit audio / DST /
>> raw packets to be transmitted (in a similar way "EPT" (Encoded Packet
>> Type field in Pin Widget Control 7.3.3.13) allows setting HBR or ASP
>> packet transmission).
>>

> Why would an "HW feature" be required to "allows One-Bit audio / DST / raw
> packets to be transmitted"?
>
> What would such "HW feature" do? What could it possibly do?

It would allow transmission of One Bit Audio Sample Packets (HDMI spec
1.3a 5.3.9) or DST Audio Packets (HDMI spec 5.3.10), which is not
possible with HW that simply implements HDA specification. The HDA
specification only supports transmission of Audio Sample Packets (HDMI
spec 5.3.4) and High-Bitrate Audio Stream Packets (HDMI spec 5.3.11),
selectable via the EPT field (HDA spec 7.3.3.13).
The packet header (which e.g. identifies the packet type) is generated
by HW on HDA cards.

Uncompressed PCM is transmitted using ASP packets.
IEC 61937 is transmitted using ASP packets (<=6.144Mbps) or HBR packets
(>6.144Mbps).

--
Anssi Hannula