[alsa-devel] DSD over HDMI: audio data packetization

Andrej Falout andrej at falout.org
Tue Jan 6 07:15:12 CET 2015

Hi Anssi,

I think the One-Bit Audio and DST formats are just misnamed here and
> can't be carried over IEC 61937 (ATRAC can be) - the IEC 61937
> specification does not cover One-Bit Audio or DST.

Does it have to be? Given that it is defined in CEA 861, and that 61937-1
makes specific provisions for non-PCM data:

Page 16:

"In cases where the interface is used to convey non-linear PCM audio
bitstreams..."

> I think the "third-party solution" refers to a driver implementing
> support for a non-HDA-spec HW feature which allows One-Bit audio / DST /
> raw packets to be transmitted (in a similar way "EPT" (Encoded Packet
> Type field in Pin Widget Control 7.3.3.13) allows setting HBR or ASP
> packet transmission).

Why would an "HW feature" be required to "allows One-Bit audio / DST / raw
packets to be transmitted"?

What would such "HW feature" do? What could it possibly do?

Thanks,
Andrej Falout