[alsa-devel] Internal speakers not working on HP ProBook 455 G2

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sat Feb 28 08:58:31 CET 2015

At Sat, 28 Feb 2015 15:03:41 +0900,
Michel D4nzer wrote:

> On 24.02.2015 18:05, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:43:10 +0900,
> > Michel D4nzer wrote:

> >> No, it's the same with Debian's default 3.16 kernel.
> >
> > What about even older one?
>
> Are you thinking of any particular version(s)? How important is it to
> test that?

No particular version, I just wonder whether this is a regression at
all.  But the cause is now clear.

> >> In Linux, I haven't seen any visible change when plugging in or out the
> >> headphones.
> >
> > You can watch the output of "alsactl monitor".
>
> When plugging in headphones:
>
> card 1, #38 (0,0,0,Mic Jack,0) VALUE

So, your headphone is recognized wrongly as a microphone.  This
implies that the pins aren't properly set up by BIOS.  Maybe BIOS
update will solve this?

If no BIOS update doesn't solve (or you don't want it), you have to
figure out the right pin configuration by trial and error.
hdajackretask and hda-analyzer would be your friend.
(Note that the onboard analog audio is the second card in your case.)