[alsa-devel] Internal speakers not working on HP ProBook 455 G2

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sat Feb 28 07:03:41 CET 2015

On 24.02.2015 18:05, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:43:10 +0900,
> Michel D4nzer wrote:
>> On 19.02.2015 20:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Is this a regression from earlier kernels?
>>
>> No, it's the same with Debian's default 3.16 kernel.
>
> What about even older one?

Are you thinking of any particular version(s)? How important is it to
test that?

>> In the meantime, I've noticed that those symptoms are due to the
>> headphone jack being incorrectly detected as connected. And indeed, on a
>> different laptop I get all the same symptoms while headphones are
>> plugged in.
>>
>> So, it occurred to me to try 'the other OS' on this laptop, and the
>> behaviour there is weird as well: No sound from the speakers even while
>> nothing's plugged into the headphone jack. When I plug in headphones,
>> there's a notification: "Something was just unplugged from your
>> headphone jack" (!), then sound works as expected through the
>> headphones. When I unplug them again, there's a notification: "Something
>> was just plugged into your headphone jack".
>
> So the plug state is inverted?

Not exactly. The notifications in Windows sound like that, but the
speakers don't work regardless of whether headphones are plugged in or
not (even in Windows).

>> In Linux, I haven't seen any visible change when plugging in or out the
>> headphones.
>
> You can watch the output of "alsactl monitor".

When plugging in headphones:

card 1, #38 (0,0,0,Mic Jack,0) VALUE
card 1, #34 (2,0,0,Internal Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #34 (2,0,0,Internal Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #33 (2,0,0,Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #33 (2,0,0,Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE

When unplugging them again:

card 1, #38 (0,0,0,Mic Jack,0) VALUE
card 1, #33 (2,0,0,Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #33 (2,0,0,Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #34 (2,0,0,Internal Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE
card 1, #34 (2,0,0,Internal Mic Boost Volume,0) VALUE

>> Do you think the hardware is defective? Any possible workarounds for the
>> incorrect headphone jack detection?
>
> The question is whether it's an unreliable jack detection (sometimes /
> always doesn't report the event) or the jack detection is inverted by
> some reason (plug / unplug swapped).  In the latter case, you can set
> a hint "inv_jack_detect = 1".  See
> Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt, the section "Hint Strings",
> "HD-Audio Reconfiguration" and "Early Patching" sections.

Setting inv_jack_detect = 1 makes the speakers work by default, but then
plugging in headphones isn't detected.