[alsa-devel] No sound and systemd journal filling when inserting headphones when power-saving is enabled

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Feb 24 21:57:18 CET 2015

At Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:11:58 +0000,
Dang Sananikone wrote:

> Thanks, in that case I'll simply attach the files to this post. There are
> two files:
>
>  * alsa-info-notworking.txt: This is the alsa info generated when
> power-saving is enabled and after "speaker-test" has been invoked.
>  * alsa-info-working.txt: This is the alsa info generated when power-saving
> is disabled and after "speaker-test" has been invoked.
>

> To reproduce the problem:
>
> Prerequisite:
> Set "options snd_hda_intel power_save=1"
>
> Instructions:
> 1. Boot up laptop.
> 2. Insert headphone socket into jack.
> 3. In terminal, type "speaker-test -c 2".
>
> Expected Result:
> The speaker-test program hangs, and the systemd journal starts filling up
> with "sound hdaudioC0D0: hda-codec: out of range cmd 0:1:716:ffffffff"
> messages.

OK, then try to pass power_save_controller=0 option to snd-hda-intel
module.  It might be that the controller gets screwed up by some
reason by power-saving.

If this still doesn't help, we need more logs.  Build the kernel with
tracing support, and get the HD-audio verb traces as
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt, section Tracepoints.