[alsa-devel] simplify simple-card

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Feb 17 17:14:08 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 05:23:40AM +0000, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> Sorry, but I guess you are misunderstanding about my idea.
> My idea is that we create above sound cards, and use it by

> 	sound {
> -		compatible = "simple-audio-card";
> +		compatible = "single-audio-card", "simple-audio-card";

> If we can create simplified simple-audio-card (= here "single" audio card).
> we can use it, if not, we can use current simple-audio-card.

> If it is difficult to keep compatibility between current "simple" and simplified card,
> can we create above new sound cards series ?
> Some of these functions are already created as common code (but no one is using it ?)
> new sound cards series can reuse it.

I'm still seeing complexity here from the fact that we have to work out
what combinations of features to support - if we're splitting things out
then at some point we are going to have to have split code paths.  It's
possible I'm just not seeing the advantages here and that the code will
make it clear what the benefits are but it doesn't feel like it's the
way forwards right now.