[alsa-devel] simplify simple-card

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Tue Feb 17 06:23:40 CET 2015

Hi Mark

Thank you for your feedback

> >  - common             : basic common functions
> >  - simple-audio-card  : existing driver, keep as-is for compatible reason
> >  - single-audio-card  : single CPU/Codec sound card. simplified from simple-audio-card
> >  - multi-audio-card   : multi  CPU/Codec sound card. simplified from simple-audio-card
> >  - fixrate-audio-card : new sound card
> >                         same as single-audio-card, but it needs sampling-rate-convert via DAPM,
> >  - chain-audio-card   : DAPM card (?)
> >  - ....
>
> > My idea is taht we can replace current "simple-audio-card" to "single-audio-card",
> > or, "simple-audio-card" to "multi-audio-card" on DT.
>
> I think this would make things more complex since we'd inevitably end up
> with combinations of the features that need supporting together and it
> seems like there'd be poor code reuse.  We do also still have to support
> the existing binding.

Sorry, but I guess you are misunderstanding about my idea.
My idea is that we create above sound cards, and use it by

	sound {
-		compatible = "simple-audio-card";
+		compatible = "single-audio-card", "simple-audio-card";

If we can create simplified simple-audio-card (= here "single" audio card).
we can use it, if not, we can use current simple-audio-card.

If it is difficult to keep compatibility between current "simple" and simplified card,
can we create above new sound cards series ?
Some of these functions are already created as common code (but no one is using it ?)
new sound cards series can reuse it.

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto