[alsa-devel] [RFC] dice: simplifying address registration

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Sat Apr 25 14:25:14 CEST 2015

Clemens,

Thanks for your comment.

On Apr 25 2015 17:49, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>> Currently Dice driver keeps address ranges for each unit instance. But
>> there's a way to reuse the same address range.
>
> This requires an additional check for the packet's source node, which is
> essentially a duplicate of the core's address lookup code.
>
>> I think this idea can simplify driver probe processing
>
> Yes, but that code is just moved to the module load processing.

>From probe processing, thus address allocation is just one time, not
each time IEEE 1394 unit is probed.

>> and save resources of host controller.
>
> When using multiple DICE devices, this saves four bytes of FireWire
> address space per card, out of the total address space of 2^48 bytes.
> Or what other resources do you mean?

Actually, 2^48 bytes are really huge. But there're some rude devices to
transfer transaction to a certain address (i.e. Fireworks). For me, it's
basically better idea to keep allocated address range as small as possible.

...But seems to be not so practical. OK. I dropped this patch.

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto