[alsa-devel] [RFC] dice: simplifying address registration

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Sat Apr 25 10:49:56 CEST 2015

Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Currently Dice driver keeps address ranges for each unit instance. But
> there's a way to reuse the same address range.

This requires an additional check for the packet's source node, which is
essentially a duplicate of the core's address lookup code.

> I think this idea can simplify driver probe processing

Yes, but that code is just moved to the module load processing.

> and save resources of host controller.

When using multiple DICE devices, this saves four bytes of FireWire
address space per card, out of the total address space of 2^48 bytes.
Or what other resources do you mean?

Regards,
Clemens