[alsa-devel] dummy codec + simple card combination

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:29:55 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Jean-Francois Moine <moinejf at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 22:24:45 +0200
> Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For what kind of device do you wrote simple codec? We would use it for
>> GSM and BT
>
> At this time, I wanted to use DPCM, and a dummy codec was needed.
> The simple codec could also have been used to replace empty codecs as
> s/pdif and hdmi.
>
>> (we could use bt-sco driver) which produce PCM samples (rate is
>> determined by mclk and bclk).
>> If your proposal wasn't accepted then I think the best would be for
>> our purpose to write dummy codecs
>> for both interfaces and not generic simple codec.
>
> The generic simple codec was just a dummy codec.
> Which difference do you see?
dummy codec cannot be described in DT. There was an attempts to add it
but it was rejected.
So I see only possibilities:
1:
- use dummy codec for gsm path
- use bt-sco for bluetoooth path
- describe it in DT via simple card

2: create new card machine driver and use dummy codecs for gsm and bt

> --
> Ken ar c'hentañ |             ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
> Jef             |               http://moinejf.free.fr/

BR,

marek

--