[alsa-devel] [bug] SPDIF (digital-out) not working on NForce4/CK804

Gilles Hemberg gilles.hemberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 11:34:19 CEST 2014

Hi,

It works!

Solution (in OpenElec 4.2.0; settings on other distros would be similar):
* Create custom asound.state in /storage/.config/ with the following
contents: http://sprunge.us/SiHH (this state-file will, among other
things, unmute the appropriate mixer controls, set proper output
formats, ...).

* Load the above state file with the following command:

     alsactl nrestore 0 -f /storage/.config/asound.state
     (replace the "0" with the card-number corresponding to CK804 on
your system)

   You may want to add this command to a custom autostart.sh in
/storage/.config/ so the state is restored on every boot.

* Create intel8x0.conf in /storage/.config/modprobe.d/ with the
following contents:

     options snd-intel8x0 spdif_aclink=1
     (I am told that this above setting depends on the specific
motherboard, so this may not work for everyone: it does work on my ASUS
A8N-SLI Deluxe)

   This was the final setting that solved the issue for me. I did try
this setting before, but it seems that some sources on the Internet had
this mis-written as "options snd-intel-8x0 spdif_aclink=1" (notice the
extra dash).

* In XBMC, select the SPDIF out as both the audio-device AND the
passthrough device.

I wanted to post the solution that worked (in my case) here so others
may be able to benefit from my experience.

Thank you very much for your input Raymond: really appreciated!

Bye!
_____
*Gilles Hemberg*
/gilles.hemberg at gmail.com/