[alsa-devel] [bug] SPDIF (digital-out) not working on NForce4/CK804

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:07:13 CEST 2014

> Command tried:
>
>     speaker-test -c2 -r 48000 -D iec958:CARD=CK804,DEV=0
>
> Still no sound coming through AVR...
>
> For the sake of completeness, I provide a new alsa-info.sh output:
http://sprunge.us/ZWLF(I blacklisted the snd_hda_intel this time just to be
on the safe side).

> The git-link below (
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=blob;f=src/conf/cards/NFORCE.conf;hb=HEAD)
seems to point to the .conf for nForce2/3; min is a nForce4 (don't know if
nForce4 is supposed to use this same .conf).

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/pci/intel8x0.c?id=a9e996604f77be6f1f4deb0eb1cc2652000054f1

Either use spdif over ac-link or you have to find out how to use nforce4
secondary spdif output

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20041014863476.html

AUDIO

AC ’97 2.3 compliant interface

Supports 2, 4, 6, or 8-channel audio
Dual AC-Link: supports up to two codecs
Dual S/PDIF: supports two simultaneous digital outputs; handles stereo PCM
or AC-3 output
16-bit or 20-bit stereo, 48kHz output and 16-bit input streams across
AC-Link
24-bit, 96kHz stereo output on the secondary S/PDIF output

>> > Sorry to bump in like this, but I was advised to submit a bug-report
for the ALSA-drivers on my HTPC: no sound comes through out of my AVR when
I select the digital output through SPDIF (TOSLINK).

>> > The relevant parts of my HTPC are as follows:
>> >     * CPU: Athlon64 X2 3800+
>> >     * Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard (BIOS 1805) NForce4
with CK804 sound (relying on a Realtek ALC850 chip)

>> >     * RAM: 2x 512 MB DDR-400
>> >     * GPU: nVidia Geforce GT240 (which carries a HDMI port and uses
the snd-
>> >     * Receiver: Marantz SR7500 (supporting both Dolby Digital 5.1 and
DTS decoding), connected to motherboard's SPDIF TOSLINK port (optical) +
JBL 5.1 speaker-set
>> >     * OpenElec 4.2.0: Kernel 3.16.3, Alsa 1.0.28
>> >

>> > Symptoms:
>> > Speaker-test does not produce any sound. Command used is as follows:
>> >
>> >     speaker-test -c2 -r 48000 -D hw:0,2
>> >
>> > No sound either from other applications (such as XBMC 13.2).
>> >
>> > SPDIF worked flawlessly on the exact same hardware & connections using
Win7/XBMC.
>> > Sound does come through the SPDIF when I use hw:0,0 (= analog device).
>> >

>> > Things tried (none working):
>> >     * Blacklisting snd-hda-intel (= HDMI from my GPU) to make sure
CK804 is the only sound chip visible.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=31&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=59