[alsa-devel] Split a 7.1 device into 4 stereo devices

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Tue Jul 8 20:26:37 CEST 2014

08.07.2014 18:18, Xavier Claessens kirjoitti:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 7.1 sound device and speaker-test -c8 can output on each
> speaker. But what I would like to do is using it as 4 stereo devices so
> I could play different sounds on each of them.
>
> Ideally I would like to avoid dmix and friends to be able to have
> gapless and bit-perfect output.
>
> On IRC "debianuser" said it is possible with hdajackretask to make it
> appear as 4 different hw devices in "aplay -l" but we didn't succeed
> doing that. Anyone knows what configuration is needed for that?
>
> Here is my setting:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bf0744873d5e6d42d3adc0076c5f66189e9191b7

I guess this really belongs on alsa-user@ list, but oh well...

No idea about hdajackretask, but you can use e.g. "dshare" plugin.

Simple example below with 6ch split to three stereo devices, see
documentation/Google for more information on options. You don't see the
result in "aplay -l" but in "aplay -L".

pcm_slave.shared_dev {
        pcm "hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7"
        channels 6