[alsa-devel] Split a 7.1 device into 4 stereo devices

Xavier Claessens xavier.claessens at collabora.com
Tue Jul 8 17:18:11 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have a 7.1 sound device and speaker-test -c8 can output on each
speaker. But what I would like to do is using it as 4 stereo devices so
I could play different sounds on each of them.

Ideally I would like to avoid dmix and friends to be able to have
gapless and bit-perfect output.

On IRC "debianuser" said it is possible with hdajackretask to make it
appear as 4 different hw devices in "aplay -l" but we didn't succeed
doing that. Anyone knows what configuration is needed for that?

Here is my setting:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bf0744873d5e6d42d3adc0076c5f66189e9191b7

Regards,
Xavier Claessens.