[alsa-devel] Call for testing: ALSA driver for Fireworks/BeBoB based devices

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Mon Feb 24 08:17:11 CET 2014

Hi Mark,

 > The terminal output of aplay seems to reflect successful playback,
and I hear audible clicks as
 >  the file starts and ends its playback.

It's quirk of BeBoB. If you avoid the click noise, add silent PCM
samples into your file or use sound server such like jackd/PulseAudio.

But PulseAudio have an issue. See:
[pulseaudio-discuss] 'Failed to find a working profile' for firewire
sound devices
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-January/019685.html

 > Please, is there anything you can suggest that I should try next?
 > Is there anything obvious that I appear to have overlooked?

A combination of these tools will help your debug.
  - ffado-mixer/ffado-dbus (the recent revision)
  - aplay/arecord
  - /proc/asound/Ozonic/#meter

Especially, Ozonic can reports its metering for each Analog input/Stream
input/Analog output.

 > However, I have not yet been able to get audio playback (using "aplay
-D plughw:2,0
 > Desktop/test.wav").  The .wav file is a short, 44.1/16 mono file
saved from Audacity,
 > if that's relevant.

I guess that:
  - You expected to listen to 'Analog out 3/4'.
  - The aplay with plughw playbacks into 'Stream in 1/2'.
  - Ozonic's internal mixer didn't route 'Stream in 1/2' into 'Analog
out 3/4'.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp