[alsa-devel] Call for testing: ALSA driver for Fireworks/BeBoB based devices

Brand, Mark (Mr) (Summerstrand Campus South) Mark.Brand at nmmu.ac.za
Mon Feb 24 07:34:40 CET 2014

Hi Takashi,

Thank you once again!  Your comments have been very helpful.  I now understand how to run ffado-dbus-server/ffado-mixer alongside your ALSA driver.  I have pulled your revised Ozonic mixer from ffado-mixer, and when I now invoke ffado-mixer, it properly detects the Ozonic.  I can also verify that the mixer control of my audio pass-through (which is plugged into inputs 3 & 4) works as expected.

However, I have not yet been able to get audio playback (using "aplay -D plughw:2,0 Desktop/test.wav").  The .wav file is a short, 44.1/16 mono file saved from Audacity, if that's relevant.  The terminal output of aplay seems to reflect successful playback, and I hear audible clicks as the file starts and ends its playback.  The pass-through is also momentarily muted as aplay starts and stops.  I have experimented with every conceivable combination of ffado-mixer settings, ultimately returning to the default settings that it was installed with.  When aplay executes, the mixer app shows check marks next to both "Outgoing" and "Incoming".  I have been testing the latest git version of the driver (updated this morning), and installing/uninstalling by DKMS.

Please, is there anything you can suggest that I should try next?  Is there anything obvious that I appear to have overlooked?    I will try with a wider range of test materials tomorrow, as well as trying other ALSA apps, but I wanted to get this posted in case that's not the issue.  I also recently saw some comments suggesting that pulseaudio be killed.  Could that be the issue?  I will investigate this tomorrow too.

Thank you sincerely,
Mark Brand.