[alsa-devel] No sound from Headphone Jack over Lenovo Docking Station with T440p Laptop

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 01:26:18 CET 2014

> To make a 5 hour story short, this is my result:
> Using early patching, everything works to my linking:
> 0x16 0x2121101f # dock headphones
> 0x19 0x21a11030 # dock mic
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> I guess that building a patch á la ALC269_FIXUP_LENOVO_DOCK is not a big
deal, but not my business.
> If wanted, I can do testing, as soon as I learn how to properly compile
and install a custom kernel.

> I'll post something on
https://github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems to
tell other people how to fix this right away.

> More to my story:
> I found /sys/class/sound/hwC1D0, which is a Realtek ALC292 device.
> The NID (what does it stand for?) of interest for the jack's output is
indeed 0x16.

> When headphones plugged into docking station jack:
> $ sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC1D0 0x16 GET_PIN_SENSE 0
> nid = 0x16, verb = 0xf09, param = 0x0
> value = 0x80000000
>
> When not plugged:
> $ sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC1D0 0x16 GET_PIN_SENSE 0
> nid = 0x16, verb = 0xf09, param = 0x0
> value = 0x0
>
> GET_PIN_SENSE for 0x19 is 0x80000000 when headset with mic is plugged
into dock.
> Pin sense of 0x19 does not change to 0x80000000 when only plugging 3pole
speaker cable.
> Therefore, I assumed that 0x19 is the dock mic input (turned out later to
be true).

Are you using the same dock station as Nicolas?

It seem this dock station has only 1x Stereo/Mic Combo Audio Port

http://outlet.lenovo.com/no/en/itemdetails/40A10065EU/460/6D501EE899104FF9A362D739642CFC27#overview

Do you mean when headset is plugged, both node 0x16 and node 0x19 can
detect the Jack state which is not different from those dock station which
have headphone Jack and Mic jack ?

Do this dock combo jack not support conventional Mic  similar to the
notebook combo Jack ?

Do you need to differentiate these two kind of dock stations if your ultra
dock cannot support conventional Mic ?

Dock Mic and dock headset mic

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=PD029485

Connect headphones or a headset that has a 3.5-mm (0.14-inch), 4-pole plug
to the audio connector to listen to the sound from the computer.

Notes:
• If you are using a headset with a function switch, for example, a headset
for an iPhone mobile digital device, do not press this switch while using
the headset. If you press the switch, the headset microphone will be
disabled, and the integrated microphones on the computer will be enabled
instead.

The audio connector does not support a conventional microphone.

> I installed alsa-tools-gui and used hdajackretast to override the pin
config.
> It took a while to find out that not all changes are immediate (early
patching and restart required).

> Using the early patching values from above, the sound is being redirected
from the internal speakers to the dock jack, when headphones are connected.
> [When connecting an additional speaker to the left jack on the notebook,
the sound is output to both dock and notebook jack.]