[alsa-devel] Unsupported Valley View 'LPE' adapter?

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 19 08:41:22 CET 2014

> On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 16:48 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > Jan Michael Brummer at Intel pointed this out to me recently:
> > >
> > > https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc/+/intel/haswell-audio-dsp%5E
> > >
> > > looks like it's being worked on.
> >
> > Heh, that's actually just a mirror of the git ASoC branch. All those
> > patches went through this very list last week. I don't know precisely
> > how the upstreaming process goes for this stuff, but I'm guessing it'll
> > wind up in 3.14 or 3.15.
> >
> > (I may try building the patches into my Fedlet kernel builds and see if
> > that gets anywhere...)
>
> FWIW, I tried building a 3.14rc3 kernel with these patches applied and
> the drivers enabled as modules. On boot on a Dell Venue 8 Pro, all the
> relevant modules are loaded, but there's no ALSA device, and no
> obviously useful errors in any logs, or useful output from alsa-info.sh.
> Is it expected that the driver doesn't actually work yet? Per the recent
> commits, do I need some kind of firmware? Any debugging that would be
> useful?

Sorry, we're not finished with the upstreaming yet. The current patches
upstream are for the low level parts of the Intel DSP drivers. Jarkko
and I still have to upstream the upper layers of the drivers (probably
today) and you will also need firmware.

Once upstream the drivers will support Valley View, Baytrail, Haswell
and Broadwell. The firmware for Baytrail and Valleyview will be
available shortly too.

Liam