[alsa-devel] I2S frame configuration

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Mon Dec 8 20:37:58 CET 2014

On 12/08/2014 07:03 PM, thomas chen wrote:

> Thanks for the info... so it is possible for Asoc to handle such format...

Yes, its not a special format, it is just plain and simple I2S like it is
supported by the majority of all drivers/devices.

> So where does one specify number of bits in a FRAME/WORD (epsecially if we
> were to be master instead of slave ?)

That's typically specified in the format that is used, e.g. in your case
SNDRV_PCM_FORMAT_S24_3LE. This is not necessarily ideal for all cases, but
has work well enough so far.

> and, how does one specify number of bits to ignore (before the valid data)

There are no bits to ignore the valid data. I2S has a delay of 1 bit clock
cycle between the first bit of the sample and the frame sync signal. So the
data bit that is transmitted on the same clock cycle as the frame sync is
actually the last bit of the previous sample. So in your case your sample
has 16 valid bits followed by 8 ignored bits.

> and also how many valid bits (ie size of data word) ???

You can set a snd_pcm_hw_constraint_msbits() constraint to tell userspace
that only a certain amount of bits are actually going to be used.

If you are using ASoC you can do this by setting the sig_bits property on
your snd_soc_dai_driver.

- Lars