[alsa-devel] Documentation Request

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Wed Sep 4 16:04:21 CEST 2013

2013/9/4 Carl Canuck <carl.canuck.official at gmail.com>

> Ignorant?  You do realize that Jack has captured the hearts and minds of
> exactly zero world renowned audio professionals, despite being
> "professional grade" according to it's developers?  Do you think that could
> possibly be a problem with Jack, or did everybody just not give it enough
> of a chance?

If you insist on using pure ALSA: Read the docs that Grant pointed you to.
Everything you need is there, IMO. Otherwise, using portaudio/portmidi can
help you in porting your Windows application to Linux. The tool of choice
though is: Err, you just don't want to hear that again...

> Why the hell should somebody with no experience programming with ALSA
> attempt to reverse-engineer, document and create example code when the only
> references available are some horribly inadequate API docs and a few
> kernels of wisdom scattered over years of mailing lists?

Ever so often, once you figured something out you can't see your initial
problems in understanding anymore. That's why it is a good idea to write
about such things as long as you still see your problems.

BTW, I can't see anything missing in the example code that would be
relevant to you. So what's wrong with it? What's wrong with the API docs?
It's a bit rough, sure. But it's your decision to go the hard way and not
use the adequate tool for your problem.

> I think instead
> I'll just abandon my attempts to port anything to Linux if the attitude of
> the ALSA community is that the combined use of ALSA audio and MIDI with
> proper device configuration options is supposed to be a big secret that you
> all are too busy to share.

You asked for advice. You got advice. You don't like the advice. You
complain. Hmmm. Doesn't sound right to me.