[alsa-devel] Enable display power well management in HD-A driver on Baytrail platform (Valleyview SOC)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 25 13:41:49 CEST 2013

At Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:03:50 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:20:02 +0000,
> Lin, Mengdong wrote:
> >
> > Hi Takashi,
> >
> > We want to enable display power well management on Batrail platform (Valleyview SOC), similar to what we did on Haswell.
> > Would you please check if our ideas are ok and give some advice?
> >
> > For Valleyview/VLV the display controller has a power well island. When display is off, the display island can be power gated.
> > Unlike Haswell, the VLV HD-A controller is not in the display power well. The controller is in south bridge and shared by multiple codecs, same as the predecessors of Haswell.
>
> But the power is still controlled based on the usage of HD-audio
> controller, not per codec, isn't it?  If so, we can keep using the
> runtime PM implementation.

Reading again your mail, it sounds like we need the i915 power up/down
*just for HDMI codec*, not for onboard audio, while both of them are
connected over the same HD-audio bus (i.e. controller).  If it's the
case, an easiest way is to put i915_request_power_well*() at
set_power_state callback as you pointed.

I don't like an idea to add pre_resume and post_suspend opts again.

Takashi