[alsa-devel] ASoC: codec: SPDIF only works with Tx/Rx seperate codec drivers?

Nicolin Chen b42378 at freescale.com
Fri Jul 12 10:30:31 CEST 2013

Hi Mark,

I've a little question about SPDIF codec drivers.

I found there're spdif_receiver.c and spdif_transmitter.c, two files,
in sound/soc/codecs directory. So it looks like SPDIF module would work
separately as one IN device and one OUT device, for example:
dts/spear1340.dtsi:		spdif-in at d0100000 {
dts/spear1340.dtsi:			compatible = "st,spdif-in";
dts/spear1340.dtsi:		spdif-out at d0000000 {
dts/spear1340.dtsi:			compatible = "st,spdif-out";

But the question is what if a SPDIF module have both Tx and Rx function
in one simple CPU DAI. Is that okay to add a new codec driver for this
situation?

Actually I'm gonna prepare some patches to add Freescale SPDIF drivers.
But this needs to create a brand new dummy SPDIF codec driver, which's
some kinda same as spdif_receiver/transmitter.c but quite different
in the supports of SAMPLE_RATE/FORMAT and IN/OUT-in-one integration.

So I just want to make sure if this'll be okay.

Thank you. And looking forward to your reply.
Nicolin Chen