[alsa-devel] No sound with Sony VAIO VPCZ1 (ALC889)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jul 5 07:29:58 CEST 2013

At Fri, 05 Jul 2013 00:53:48 +0200,
Tormen wrote:

> Dear Takashi,
> As you were involved in both threads below, I dared to cc you on this.
> I hope you don't mind.
> Tormen.
>

> Hi again,
>
> I digged again into google and stumbled across this thread from a year ago:
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-March/050504.html
>
> I have the same Notebook than Adam.
>
> The thread stopped there. I contacted Adam and he confirmed me something
> I also had noticed (but forgotten):
>      The sound output via the speakers broke (went silent) between 3.1
> and 3.2.
>      It was working though for sometime between 3.2 and 3.9.6 - I
> confirmed it to be working in 3.7!
>      And now it is broken again.

So, the speaker worked on *your* machine with 3.7 kernel?
Then I need alsa-info.sh output in the working state.

> I also had found this thread (before posting):
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2013-February/059462.html
>
> Which seems to be related ("caused Vaio Z laptops to become silent").
> And I tried passing "model=no-primary-hp" to snd-hda-intel.ko (see my
> alsa-info.sh) .... but without effect
>
> Thanks a lot for any hint on this. I would be very glad to assist in
> getting this fixed for good :)

Didn't you read my previous reply...?
Give alsa-info.sh outputs (don't paste, use attachments).
At best, give the outputs from both working and non-working kernels.
Without these, I cannot debug further.

thanks,