[alsa-devel] Query on Audio DMA using DMAEngine

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Jul 2 16:58:21 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:30:51PM +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:

> things that would be obvious for long-time developers, like finding
> out who the maintainer for a piece of code is. I still don't know
> that, by the way. How do I find the "CC" list that I'm supposed to
> send bugs/suggestions/patches to for a given piece of code?

MAINTAINERS and git log should give you a good guide - there's a script
called get_maintainer.pl in the kernel which will help but shouldn't be
100% relied on.  Basically just look at revision control history and
see who's been working on the code.

> I guess that a document on kernel-driver-development-for-people-who-used-to-work-with-a-centrally-organized-OS-and-used-to-get-all-their-answers-from-them
> would help, but then again finding that particular document - or
> realizing that it even exists (it doesn't, does it?) - would be the
> next problem.

That's what MAINTAINERS is there for.

> It's quite easy to find out how one goes about writing a driver, but
> the process surrounding it - such as finding whether such a driver
> already exists, where to go for technical advice and where to post
> the git patch for inclusion in mainline is something that no one
> seems to want to dwell on.

Documentation/SubmittingPatches is a pretty good starting point.