[alsa-devel] Query on Audio DMA using DMAEngine

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Tue Jul 2 15:30:51 CEST 2013

On 07/02/2013 02:16 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 08:02:00AM +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> On 07/02/2013 03:28 AM, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>
>>> Sweet! Any particular reason why it wasn't merged in vs the existing ping-pong code?
>
>> I've posted questions and other stuff concerning the McASP/OMAP1,
>> but there was very little interest, so I supposed the chipset was on
>> its way out and there wasn't any point in maintaining it.
>
> Did you CC the relevant maintainers and other people working on the
> code?  You've not done so on this thread...  if you only post to the
> list it's very likely that people won't see what you've sent.

I'm relatively new to Linux kernel programming. The key problem for me
was - and still is - that there is so overwhelmingly much information
available, that it's virtually impossible to find out things that would
be obvious for long-time developers, like finding out who the maintainer
for a piece of code is. I still don't know that, by the way. How do I
find the "CC" list that I'm supposed to send bugs/suggestions/patches to
for a given piece of code?

I guess that a document on
kernel-driver-development-for-people-who-used-to-work-with-a-centrally-organized-OS-and-used-to-get-all-their-answers-from-them
would help, but then again finding that particular document - or
realizing that it even exists (it doesn't, does it?) - would be the next
problem.

It's quite easy to find out how one goes about writing a driver, but the
process surrounding it - such as finding whether such a driver already
exists, where to go for technical advice and where to post the git patch
for inclusion in mainline is something that no one seems to want to
dwell on.

Sorry if I'm ranting here. Maybe in time I'll learn to behave...

Mike