[alsa-devel] HD-audio regression after commit 34588709af61be1550b4e2bcee5c85d0ac4f34d4

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jan 17 16:32:17 CET 2013

At Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:59:20 -0500,
Miro Hodak wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > > OK, now as far as Auto-Mute goes, should it do what expected when
> > enabled - i.e. muting the speakers when headphones are connected to the
> > front panel? I have tried that, does not seem to work.
> > >

> > Do your computer chassis have a hda front audio panel with Jack detection ?
> >
> > The front headphone Jack should return true when headphone Jack is plugged
> >
> > control.35 {
> > iface CARD
> > name 'Front Headphone Jack'
> >
> > value false
> > comment {
> > access read
> > type BOOLEAN
> > count 1
> > }
> > }
> >
> > All ADI codecs support impedance measurement
> >
> > Try the modified hda-jack-sense-test which need hda-analyzer
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/90911/focus=91115
> >

> Hmmm, ran into some python issues. Even hda-analyzer itself is not working:
> File "/dev/shm/hda-analyzer/hda_proc.py", line 143, in wrongfile
>     raise ValueError, "wrong proc file format (%s)" % msg
> ValueError: wrong proc file format (integer decode 'State of AFG node
> 0x01:' ('Node '))

Ah, it's a new proc file entry that has been added recently.
hda-analyzer needs to be fixed.

In anyway, only for checking the presence unsolicited events, you can
do without extra program.  Suppose you built your kernel with the
tracing support.  See "Tracepoints" option in
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt.

  # echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/hda/hda_unsol_event/enable

  (plug and unplug your headphone jacks)

  # cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace

If you see some hda_unsol_event lines there, it implies that the jack
detection basically works in hardware level.