[alsa-devel] HDA regression on Fujitsu S7020 laptop (ALC260 codec)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sun Feb 17 09:32:38 CET 2013

At Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:55:05 +1030,
Jonathan Woithe wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:02:49AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > I'm now back from linux.conf.au and would like to pick up this issue.  Given
> > > that several weeks have elapsed since we last touched base, what would now
> > > be the best tree to test to determine where we are at and what the next
> > > steps should be to restoring the previous functionality for the Fujitsu
> > > S7020 laptop?
> >
> > Try sound.git tree for-next branch.  It already contains all stuff for
> > 3.9 kernel.
>
> I've been able to test this (snapshot as of two days ago, reports version
> number 3.8.0-rc5+ via uname).  As expected there have been some
> improvements.

Thanks for testing.

> Things which work:
>
>  * "Headphone Jack Mode" allows switching between "Headphone" and "Line
>    out".  Both of these mode settings appear to work.
>
>  * There are separate "Headphone" and "Speaker" volume controls.
>
>  * The "Headphone" volume control influences the headphone jack volume.
>
>  * An "Auto-Mute Mode" control appears in alsamixer (it was missing on
>    earlier versions).
>
>  * Alsamixer recognises the presence of two ADCs, giving "Capture" and
>    "Capture 1" controls, with corresponding "Input Source" controls.
>
> Things which don't work or are missing:
>
>  * "Headphone Jack Mode" lacks options to enable various "mic" or "line in"
>    modes (all of which are possible on this system)

Yes, it is still unimplemented.  So, it's expected not to be there
yet.  If you can hack it by yourself, let me know.

>  * The "Input source" controls don't offer the "headphone jack" as a
>    possible source.

Ditto.

>  * The built-in speaker is completely silent under all situations I have
>    come up with.  The setting of "Auto-Mute Mode" has no effect, neither
>    does a manual unmute of the "Speaker" volume control.  While I don't
>    personally care much about this I suspect others might.

Hm, this is really mysterious.  I have no idea which init code causes
the problem, and it's hard to debug without a hardware.  Could you try
to figure out which setup is missing?

>  * As eluded to above, the "Auto-Mute Mode" control appears to do nothing.
>
>  * There's no "Mic Jack Mode" control to control the mode of the "mic" jack.
>    This jack supports line-in mode as well as the various "mic" modes which
>    give varying bias voltages.

Strange, the jack mode should appear all input jacks except for the
fixed pin.  Could you give alsa-info.sh output with the latest code?