[alsa-devel] HDA regression on Fujitsu S7020 laptop (ALC260 codec)

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sat Feb 16 12:25:05 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:02:49AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > I'm now back from linux.conf.au and would like to pick up this issue.  Given
> > that several weeks have elapsed since we last touched base, what would now
> > be the best tree to test to determine where we are at and what the next
> > steps should be to restoring the previous functionality for the Fujitsu
> > S7020 laptop?
>
> Try sound.git tree for-next branch.  It already contains all stuff for
> 3.9 kernel.

I've been able to test this (snapshot as of two days ago, reports version
number 3.8.0-rc5+ via uname).  As expected there have been some
improvements.

Things which work:

 * "Headphone Jack Mode" allows switching between "Headphone" and "Line
   out".  Both of these mode settings appear to work.

 * There are separate "Headphone" and "Speaker" volume controls.

 * The "Headphone" volume control influences the headphone jack volume.

 * An "Auto-Mute Mode" control appears in alsamixer (it was missing on
   earlier versions).

 * Alsamixer recognises the presence of two ADCs, giving "Capture" and
   "Capture 1" controls, with corresponding "Input Source" controls.

Things which don't work or are missing:

 * "Headphone Jack Mode" lacks options to enable various "mic" or "line in"
   modes (all of which are possible on this system)

 * The "Input source" controls don't offer the "headphone jack" as a
   possible source.

 * The built-in speaker is completely silent under all situations I have
   come up with.  The setting of "Auto-Mute Mode" has no effect, neither
   does a manual unmute of the "Speaker" volume control.  While I don't
   personally care much about this I suspect others might.

 * As eluded to above, the "Auto-Mute Mode" control appears to do nothing.

 * There's no "Mic Jack Mode" control to control the mode of the "mic" jack.
   This jack supports line-in mode as well as the various "mic" modes which
   give varying bias voltages.

Is there further information I could provide or other tests I could do to
help address the "don't work or are missing" items?

Regards
  jonathan