[alsa-devel] New one on board - a damn rooky :">

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:36:49 CET 2013

> Hello @ all,
>
> I'm Rüdiger from Germany. I'm no programmer, that's my biggest fault
here. But because of a "private" problem with ALSA and Intel HDA I want to
help whereever I can - at least with that special problem.

> I'm running a Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 with a ALC662 rev. 1 chip on board.
The mainboard has 3 jacks at the back of the PC and 2 ones at it's front
(mic and headphones).

> The problem is, that the connectors are not automatically arranged to
playback 5.1 surround sound. I must manually set the "model" to "asusmode4"
to get 5.1 and then run a script as root, to set the backside jacks to
output and to Center/LFE and rear speaker. Also I have to mute the internal
speaker.

> I've tried to patch the module manually, but this went wrong somehow. I
don't know how to proceed.

> So maybe you can help me and I can help you to complete the ALSA code for
this special mainboard/PC - hopefully.

> So long, I would thank you for your feedback.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Controls.txt;hb=HEAD

Realtek codecs
--------------

* Channel Mode
  This is an enum control to change the surround-channel setup, appears
only when the surround channels are available.
  It gives the number of channels to be used, "2ch", "4ch", "6ch", and
"8ch".  According to the configuration, this also controls the
jack-retasking of multi-I/O jacks.

Auto-Mute Mode
  This is an enum control to change the auto-mute behavior of the headphone
and line-out jacks.  If built-in speakers and headphon and/or line-out
jacks are available on a machine, this control appears.
  When there are only either headphones or line-out jacks, it gives
"Disabled" and "Enabled" state.  When enabled, the speaker is muted
automatically when a jack is plugged.

  When both headphone and line-out jacks are present, it gives "Disabled",
"Speaker Only" and "Line-Out+Speaker".  When speaker-only is chosen,
plugging into a headphone or a line-out jack mutes the speakers, but not
line-outs.  When line-out+speaker is selected, plugging to a headphone jack
mutes both speakers and  line-outs.

Can you try the daily snapshot tarball with model=auto and post the output
of alsa-info.sh ?

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2013-January/058218.html