[alsa-devel] Can DAPM paths span multiple codecs/drivers?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Fri Apr 5 15:21:09 CEST 2013

If two codecs need each other for certain operations, is there a way to
define DAPM links between them?

For example, codec A has an analog input "x". It can route this input
via some output pin to an input of codec B. (In other words, A could be
a codec that provides an SPDIF output and B could be a codec that can
only handle digital inputs like the SPDIF from codec A).

Now codec B can record from input "x", but to do so, it would have to
activate a path leading through codec A. (hence, codec A will need to be
a bit active)

I have a suspicion that this is possible by hand-crafting some of the
dapm structs and linking them together. Before I try, I would like to
know if there's even a possiblity that this will work from folks more
knowledgable on this topic.

My current implementation is to tell DAPM that i have an "always
enabled" ADC path and just do everything myself. Which is of course
wasteful.

Mike.