[alsa-devel] Fwd: Support for Roland VG-99 (working code, but could use help)

Pete Leigh pete.leigh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 20:18:49 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel

On 19 October 2012 18:46, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19.10.2012 19:02, Pete Leigh wrote:

>> I quickly tested the VG-99 quirk (modified as per Clemens' suggestion)
>> and that works too, so I'll work on generating a patch as per the
>> instructions on alsa-project.org.

Actually, I'm struggling a bit with this. I'm guessing
(alsa-project.org doesn't seem to say...) that you need to check out
the release branch in alsa-driver to work on, and do your commit
against that (master branch contains only a README) but the wiki also
advises to do a rebase origin/master after your commit. It seemed
weird, but I tried it, to no useful effect of course.

As a relative novice, this is pretty confusing stuff. Is there a plain
step-by-step of the procedure to generate a patch? Would  it be
acceptable to send the patch against the sound.git tree?

>> If it's any use regarding the urb 0 -ENOSPACE error I was having,  I
>> can try and track down the config item difference that makes it work,
>> or provide the config files for you to look at.. Please let me know if
>> this would be useful.
>
> Absolutely, that would be great. We keep getting reports from users that
> see this since the driver was reworked, and I still haven't got my head
> around what really causes it. And none of my machines show the error
> yet, so it's really hard to track. If you would point me to any specific
> config option that reproducibly changes the behaviour, that would be of
> great help.
>
>> Should there be some dependency in the configs so that whatever item
>> is making the difference is enabled by selecting SND_USB_AUDIO ?
>
> No, it's really just a bug that must be fixed.

Ok, I'll try narrowing down the config differences. It might take a
while, though:

$ diff ~/3.7.working.config ~/broken.config | grep -v '#' | wc -l
$ 1001

Cheers,

- Pete.