[alsa-devel] bit depth issue for Scarlett 2i4

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 09:43:06 CEST 2012

Hi ALSA devs!

I recently bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which is advertised as being
capable of recording at a max of 24bit/96Khz but when I run alsacap it
reports it as 32bit:

./alsacap -R -d hw:1
*** Exploring configuration space of device `hw:1' for recording ***
2 channels
Sampling rate 44100..96000 Hz
Sample formats: S32_LE
Significant bits: 32

It does seem to record OK but that output seems wrong and I'm slightly
concerned about the waste of disk space when multitracking if I end up with
32bit files but only 24 of those bits per sample are actually being used.

Thanks for your help!

Dan