[alsa-devel] ASoC updates for v3.8

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Nov 29 18:05:57 CET 2012

At Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:44:22 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 05:30:11PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound.git for-next
>
> > Forgot to push asoc-3.8 tag?
>
> Not propagated yet...  git request-pull really is buggy in the way it
> substitutes in a branch for a tag.

I see the tag now, good.

> > Seriously, this makes too ugly to show up in gitk & co.  I don't mind
> > the merge of a few branches.  But, this...
>
> > Couldn't you digest in a better way?
>
> *sigh*  I've been doing this all through this release cycle and now you
> mention it...

I've accepted your pull requests until now because they were still
only reasonably handful number of branches.  But, this time is too
much.  I can't count more than 10.

> People are going to bitch whatever happens.  You're either going to
> get a lot of merges which also causes people to get upset or one big
> merge which causes people to get upset especially if you do the merges
> as you go so you get what's actually being tested.

Well, it's always a question of balance.

As said, octopus merge of a few branches is fine.  It's been done
occasionally indeed.
But your latest challenge broke the world record in more than double
scores.  Did you see your tree on gitk?  Linus explained that he
usually takes a look at gitk after merge, so he'll be certainly
amused, too.

> I don't really have time to go through and generate a bunch of
> individual merges right now, perhaps tomorrow.

OK, thanks.