[alsa-devel] Issue when upgrading from 1.0.22 to 1.0.25

Nick Harezga nharezga at mitre.org
Thu Nov 1 13:49:09 CET 2012

I am attempting to upgrade from Ubuntu version 10.04 to version 12.04.
Version 10.04 has ALSA version 1.0.22 and version 12.04 has ALSA 1.0.25.
I have a simple test application that captures microphone input and then
plays the audio through the speaker. When run with ALSA 1.0.22 the
program works as expected. When I run the program with ALSA 1.0.25, I
get a bad pipe error indicating buffer underrun when calling writes.
Both systems have the same hardware (Dell Latitude E6400 laptop).

I tried looking through the change logs to determine if there were any
obvious changes that stood out to me, but couldn't find anything. I have
attached my code. Any suggestions?

Program is compiled using "g++ audio_test.cpp -o audio_test -lasound"

Audio sample rate: 8000
Buffer size: 1800
Format: Signed 16bit LE, interleaved