[alsa-devel] HDA codec in embedded device

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu May 31 09:57:00 CEST 2012

At Thu, 31 May 2012 08:13:02 +0200,
Thierry Reding wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work on an Atom-based platform that uses a Realtek ALC892 codec connected
> via HDA. The current code in patch_realtek.c seems to assume a standard
> desktop setup and maps the ports accordingly. The setup that I have is
> entirely different and involves, among other things, to reconfigure some of
> the ports typically used as outputs as inputs and vice versa.

The driver doesn't assume any "typical" ports.  It just looks at the
pin default configuration values, then defines the routes and assigns
the mixer elements.

> It'll also need
> to provide a way to pass through some inputs on the outputs without going
> through the DAC.
>
> All of these features are supported by the ALC982, but I don't see how this
> could be implemented with the current driver. My question is how this could
> possibly be solved in a way acceptable for mainline?

Give a more cocrete example which pin plays which role.
If the auto-parser doesn't provide the useful setup with that
configuration, we can either improve the auto-parser code or add a
static configuration like the earlier verison of the driver.