[alsa-devel] Realtek ACL892: audio gap ~ each 10 seconds? [SOLVED]

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri May 11 17:20:32 CEST 2012

2012-05-11 07:29, Takashi Iwai skrev:
> At Fri, 11 May 2012 07:25:12 -0700,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>> 2012-05-11 06:55, Takashi Iwai skrev:

>>> Well, if many events are triggered at plugging/unplugging, we can
>>> filter them out.  The events are already handled in the workqueue, and
>>> in the case of jack-detection, we can filter out the too frequent
>>> ones, and even requeue it a certain delay to be sure.
>>>
>>> But like this case, if the problem happens even without touching the
>>> jack, it's a different issue.
>>>
>> I'm not talking about flickering at physical plug/unplug, even if my
>> proposal would help in such cases also.
>>
>> A small "click", as Dâniel is experiencing, would indicate that the
>> hardware (incorrectly) reports as the jack being plugged in, then a few
>> milliseconds later, it is reported as no longer being plugged in. This
>> applies to both getting the unsol event and the actual GET_PIN_SENSE
>> result, i e, get_pin_sense would return the wrong value for a few
>> milliseconds.
>> By filtering out these events, we remove the occasional clicks.
> Hm, so you postpone the jack handling a bit and check whether any
> jack-off event comes up, and eventually filter out?
Exactly, as well as the opposite (if the user experiences clicks when
using headphones).
> This would work,
> but the question is the choice of the sensible delay time.  One would
> notice the delay of 200ms with the jack plugging or not?
I think physical plug/unplug is something that takes a few seconds to
perform anyway (finding the jack with your hand and actually plugging it
in), so 200 ms more or less would not be an annoyance, and probably not
even noticable. But I could be wrong.

Or, we could have a small delay (30 ms?) for everybody and make it
quirkable to something larger...I'm not sure what would be the best option.

>> You instead suggested some blacklisting, would that break headphone
>> support completely, at least for the jack you would blacklist?
> Yes, I didn't suppose that the jack plug detection actually works.

Ok. I was more thinking along the lines of EMI disturbances in the jack
sensing cable, or something like that.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic