[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Mar 17 03:15:27 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 10:04 +0800, Raymond Yau wrote:
> 2012/3/17, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> > Welp, pretty much as the topic says.
> >
> > I just noticed today that sound is no longer playing from the internal
> > speakers of my laptop, a 2010 model Sony Vaio Z. Plugging in headphones
> > causes sound to be played fine through those. There are three possible
> > choices for 'Connector' - 'Analog Speakers', 'Analog Output', and
> > 'Analog Headphones' - but none of these seems to make sound come out of
> > the internal speakers. The default is 'Analog Speakers', and when it's
> > set to this, headphone output does work when headphones are plugged in.
> >
> > I've verified that it's broken on Fedora 16 kernels 3.2.6-4, 3.2.8-3 and
> > 3.2.10-1. It's also broken in a very recent Fedora 17 kernel, 3.3.0rc6
> > or so. It works on a Fedora 16 live image, with kernel 3.1.0-1.
> > Unfortunately the kernels before 3.2.6 have been trashed from Fedora's
> > buildsystem archives, I think, so it's hard to narrow things down any
> > further :/
> >
> > the alsa-info output is
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=368e2359757b537d4daa0f5399830d3942540196 .
> >

> it is a bug if sound preference allow user to select speaker when
> auto-mute mode is enabled (the speaker is automatically muted by the
> driver when you plug the headphone)

Then I guess that's another bug :) Because yes, the laptop does
auto-mute by default. When the speakers are actually working, if I plug
in headphones, the speakers get muted and the headphones work. No need
to manually select an output.

> Does the laptop surround51 by retasking two mic jacks and headphone ?

I don't _think_ so. AFAICS it only has two jacks - one
headphone/speaker, one mic. There's no third jack anywhere that I can
see.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey