[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 03:04:28 CET 2012

2012/3/17, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> Welp, pretty much as the topic says.
>
> I just noticed today that sound is no longer playing from the internal
> speakers of my laptop, a 2010 model Sony Vaio Z. Plugging in headphones
> causes sound to be played fine through those. There are three possible
> choices for 'Connector' - 'Analog Speakers', 'Analog Output', and
> 'Analog Headphones' - but none of these seems to make sound come out of
> the internal speakers. The default is 'Analog Speakers', and when it's
> set to this, headphone output does work when headphones are plugged in.
>
> I've verified that it's broken on Fedora 16 kernels 3.2.6-4, 3.2.8-3 and
> 3.2.10-1. It's also broken in a very recent Fedora 17 kernel, 3.3.0rc6
> or so. It works on a Fedora 16 live image, with kernel 3.1.0-1.
> Unfortunately the kernels before 3.2.6 have been trashed from Fedora's
> buildsystem archives, I think, so it's hard to narrow things down any
> further :/
>
> the alsa-info output is
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=368e2359757b537d4daa0f5399830d3942540196 .

it is a bug if sound preference allow user to select speaker when
auto-mute mode is enabled (the speaker is automatically muted by the
driver when you plug the headphone)

Does the laptop surround51 by retasking two mic jacks and headphone ?

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'